Accessibility Statement
Skip to main content
Chat icon Chat with us live

Children's Social Work Teams



Who are we?

Welcome to Children’s Social Work. We realise that your involvement with the service can often come at a difficult time, often when families are experiencing problems. Our staff recognise this and offer support to children, young people and parents in the most sensitive way possible.

We are a professional team of registered social workers who offer support to children and families who are in need of social work support.

What happens when we are involved with you?

Either you, or someone else on your behalf, may contact Tameside Public Service’s y hub to ask for help with some difficulty you are having which affects your child (or children). Professionals in the hub will listen to your problem and where possible offer immediate advice about which agency or service may be able to assist you.

In some cases the Public Service’s hub will decide a social worker needs to support you and will then arrange for a social worker from our duty team to undertake an assessment, so that we can look at what your child needs in more detail. We can then decide, and agree with you, what action should be taken to help support you and your children.

Do we always carry out an assessment?

Sometimes the Public Service’s hub will work with you to provide more appropriate support and service and there will be no need to carry out a social work assessment.

Where it is agreed a social worker is needed to support you, we will usually undertake an assessment.

We are here to listen and help as much as possible.

Why do we want to help?

We are a service that is here to support children and their families where children are identified as requiring the support of a social worker. We always seek to offer preventative support to children and their families, in partnership with parents to promote the child’s welfare and ensure parents and where necessary the wider families, are able to meet their children’s needs.

The Children Act 1989 lays a duty on the Local Authority to make enquiries into any allegations concerning children of:

  • Physical abuse
  • Neglect
  • Emotional abuse
  • Sexual abuse ,including Child Sexual Exploitation

We work together with children, young people and their families to ensure that we have a complete picture of the problem so that we can offer the right support. We aim to keep families together by providing back-up and support to prevent problems getting too big. We realise everyone has strengths and skills and we will help children, young people and families build on these.

What is a Child and Family Assessment?

A child and family assessment will always be completed by a social worker. The assessment involves collecting information about your child and your family's strengths and difficulties from various sources. We will ask other professionals such as Teachers, Doctors and Health Visitors for information so that we have a full picture of your situation. We will want to find out more about:

  • The developmental needs of the child
  • The parenting capacity of the child's carers
  • Support that is available to the family including consideration of the family environment.

We believe that every family has strengths and the assessment will look at these as well as the difficulties. We will work with you, involving you in our discussions and in any decisions which need to be made. There will be very few exceptions to this. You will usually be given a copy of your assessment when it is completed.

A child and family assessment takes between 1 - 45 working days to complete.

If it is felt you need support we will agree a plan with you - this will detail clearly how all the agencies involved with you and your child will work with you to help you address any difficulties you may be experiencing.

What about confidentiality?

Sometimes it is necessary to share personal information with other organisations to allow us to work together to provide the best service for you.

We follow strict rules about confidentiality. These tell us about what personal information we can collect and how and when we can share this information with other organisations.

We will usually speak to you and ask your permission to the sharing of necessary personal information as part of our work with you.

What standards do the Teams work to?

The Government sets standards that Children's Social Work has to meet. These include:

  • The child and family assessment must be completed within 45 working days.
  • You are usually entitled to have a copy of your assessment.
  • You will be given clear information about the services which are available as a result of your assessment.
  • Children are at the centre of our work, their wishes, views and voice will be heard and will inform our assessment and plan
  • Social workers must work in partnership with parents


How can we work with you?

We want to work in partnership with children, young people and families. Listening to your views is very important. User groups, questionnaires, focus groups are ways of helping us to find out what you want. We will then try to take in to consideration your views when planning services.

How to contact the appropriate Children's Social Work Team

Our social care teams now form part of a multi-agency service called the Public Service Hub.  If you are concerned about the welfare of any child or young person please contact the Public Service Hub on Telephone Number0161 342 4101.

Children’s Area Social Work Team:
AddressTameside One, Market Place, Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside, OL6 6BH
Telephone Number 0161 342 4477
Send Electronic Message Send a Message

Fostering and Adoption Social Work Team:
AddressAshton Old Library, Old Street, Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside, OL6 7SG
Telephone Number 0161 342 2342 / 0161 342 4164
Send Electronic Message Send a Message

Open: Monday to Wednesday 8.30am - 5.00pm, Thursday 8.30am - 4.30pm, Friday 8.30am - 4.00pm.

Children with Disabilities Residential Respite Service

A Parent's Guide

This information is for parents and children who are already receiving support from a social worker from Integrated Team for Children with Disabilities. If you would like to find out whether you might be able to receive support from the service, please contact Integrated Team for Children with Disabilities.

What is the Respite Service?

The Children with Disabilities Respite Service offers children with disabilities a short break away from home either through day care or for a few overnight stays. This means that families can then relax knowing that children are in a safe environment being cared for by trained and caring staff.

Where does the Respite Service take place?

Respite takes place in a houses in Dukinfield. The house is near local shops, parks, recreational clubs and has a garden.

What facilities are there in the houses?


Menus are varied. We will provide any favourite foods or special diets. We also encourage the children to help with the buying of food for the house from the supermarket and local shops.


You can ring whenever you want to see how your child is or speak to your child. Those children able to use a telephone can ring home whenever they wish.


the house has a large garden with equipment and toys where the children can play safely. We also have access to a mini-bus for those children who are able to travel in it. This means that children can go out to youth clubs, sports centres and take part in other recreational activities.

Spending Money

If possible, parents are asked to send in some spending money with their child to enable them to go out. This money will be booked in and a receipt given. Any money left at the end of the visit will be given back to you.

How is your child introduced to the Service?

If the Service is appropriate for your child, they will:

  • Receive a level of care which will be identified through an assessment done by yourselves and the Social Worker.
  • Undergo a process of introduction.

The introduction usually starts with a visit to the house by the child and parents or carers. This then leads to tea visits and/or day care.

We realise that it takes some children longer to settle so the introduction will be done at a pace to suit your child and yourself.

Once everyone is happy, your child will take up their assessed visits.

Who is your key worker?

Once your child has begun to visit one of the houses, they will be assigned a key worker. This person will work at the house your child visits. Although you can speak to any member of the staff about your child, the key worker is the main link person between yourselves, your child, other staff, school and Health and Social Workers. Some of the key workers main tasks are:

  • To build and maintain good relationships between the service and yourselves.
  • To visit you at home or at an agreed place to discuss any issues regarding your child and provide support and advice.
  • To visit school so that we are kept informed of any educational issues.
  • To use all information gathered to produce a personal care plan, a health care plan and a risk assessment so that we can care for your child in a professional and consistent manner.
  • To keep detailed records of the child's visits; to check that the visits are appropriate and the child is settled.
  • Review and update the care plans to ensure that all your child's needs are being met.

What happens when your child's visit ends?

At the end of each visit, your child will bring home a going home letter which will give information about:

  • How the visit has gone.
  • Dates of the next visit.
  • Information regarding the 29 day breaks.

What are 29 Day Breaks?

After a certain amount of visits, your child needs to take a 29 day break. Staff will let you know when this break is due. Please be aware that taking the 29 day break is the parent's responsibility and that if the break is not taken at the appropriate time, this may affect your benefits. If you would like to know more about 29 day breaks, please do not hesitate to contact your Social Worker.

What if your child is on medication?

If your child is on any medication, you will be required to complete a chart when you bring the medication to the house. This is so we can keep a check on all medication.

Access to files

Your child has the right to apply for access to information held on their files. If your child is not able to apply, a parent or guardian may apply on their behalf. Please contact your Social Worker for more information on how to access files.


As employees of Tameside, we have a duty to protect children who may be at risk of harm. We will investigate any issues regarding safeguarding in line with  Procedures. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask your Social Worker.

What if I have more questions?

If your child is already receiving a service from us, please contact staff at the Respite Unit.

If you like to find out if your child is eligible for the service, please contact Integrated Team for Children with disabilities The staff will be happy to help you.