Skip to main content
Chat icon Chat with us live

Council Tax Frequently Asked Questions

Self Service

View your information for Benefits, Council Tax and Business Rates online with the self service system. You can also pay Council Tax and Business Rates, and if you are a landlord you can view information relating to your tenants.

Referendums Relating to Council Tax Increases 2024-25

Referendums Relating to Council Tax Increases 2024-25

Click here to see Council Tax Referendums for 2022-24.

Calculation of Council Tax Bills 2024-25

Calculation of Council Tax Bills 2024-25

Click here to download the calculation of Council Tax Bills for 2023-24.

If You Can’t Pay Your Bill 

If You Can’t Pay Your Bill

Click here to see what you can do if you can’t pay your Council Tax Bill.

How Your Money Is Spent 

How Your Money Is Spent

Click here to see how your Council Tax is spent.

Request a Copy Bill 

Request a Copy Bill

Click here to request a copy of your Council Tax Bill.

Council Tax Bill 2024-25 FAQs

Council Tax Bill 2024-25 FAQs

Click here to download a document on the Frequently Asked Questions about.

Self-Service System

Self-Service System

Click here to go to the self-service system.


Adult Social Care Precept

The Secretary of State made an offer to adult social care authorities. (“Adult social care authorities” are local authorities which have functions under Part 1 of the Care Act 2014, namely county councils in England, district councils for an area in England for which there is no county council, London borough councils, the Common Council of the City of London and the Council of the Isles of Scilly.)

The offer was the option of an adult social care authority being able to charge an additional “precept” on its council tax without holding a referendum, to assist the authority in meeting its expenditure on adult social care from the financial year 2016-17. It was originally made in respect of the financial years up to and including 2019-20. If the Secretary of State chooses to renew this offer in respect of a particular financial year, this is subject to the approval of the House of Commons.”


Why has my bill changed?

Check the top left hand corner of the bill under where it states the Property Band. There will be a 'Reason for Bill' comment here eg. Council Tax Benefit Adjustment, New Account etc. If there is no reason for the bill it may be a year start bill.

If you require any further information please contact Exchequer and Support Services.

Why have I received a Reminder/Final Notice/Summons?

  • Council Tax must be paid in accordance with the instructions on the bill to avoid recovery.
  • When one instalment is missed a Reminder will be issued.
  • If this is not brought up to date a Summons is issued.
  • If it is brought up to date and kept up to date no further action will be taken.
  • If it is brought up to date but subsequent instalments are defaulted upon a Second Reminder is issued.
  • If this is not brought up to date a Summons is issued.
  • If it is brought up to date and kept up to date no further action will be taken.
  • If it is brought up to date but subsequent instalments are defaulted upon a Final Notice is issued.
  • The Final Notice allows 7 days to pay the balance due for the year in full.
  • (It is not enough just to bring the instalments up to date).
  • If this is not paid in full within 7 days a Summons is issued. Any summons issued will incur costs of £86.00
  • Please note that paying within the month will not always avoid recovery , it is important to make payment on the date shown on the bill.


How Payments are Allocated?

Council Tax must be paid in accordance with the payment instalment detailed on your Council Tax bill or your Council Tax payment arrangement letter. You may receive a Reminder letter, Final Notice or Summons if you do not pay exactly the amount due.
Payments will automatically be credited to the oldest years arrears where an amount paid does not exactly match the instalment due.

For example:

Financial Year 2021/22 instalments due

Total Due

Outstanding arrears Financial Year 2020/21 – no arrangement in place

Total Due

10 payments of £170.00




How payments are allocated:

Payment received

Financial Year 2021/22

Arrears 2020/21


£170.00 – as matches instalment due exactly




£100.00 – paid to oldest arrears as doesn’t exactly match instalment due


£170.00 – as matches instalment due exactly




£50.00 - paid to oldest arrears as doesn’t exactly match instalment due


Why is the house down the road in a lower band than mine?

  • All properties were valued before the start of Council Tax, the effective date was 1 April, 1991.
  • After valuation the properties were placed in one of the bands shown below.
  • Bands are based on the saleable value of the property on 1 April 1991 and not it's current value.
  • Some apparently similar properties may differ in band. The most likely reason is when the valuations made on each property border two bands.
  • Appeals needed to be made by November, 1993. However if you become the owner of or move into a property for the first time you may make an appeal within 6 months.
  • If you do appeal you must carry on paying your original bill. If your appeal is successful we will refund any money that you have overpaid.
  • To make an appeal call the Valuation Office on 03000 501501 and ask for the form for 'Making a Proposal to alter the Valuation List'. Alternatively write to: The Listings Officer, Council Tax North, Valuation Office Agency, King William House, Market Place, Hull, HU1 1RT.

There are more circumstances which may affect the banding, if you have any further queries please contact us.

What band is my property in?

Any queries about which band the property has been placed in can be referred to us.

How do I report Council Tax Fraud?

  • You should gather all the information you are aware of eg. names, addresses, telephone numbers, employment details and report the details to either the Customer Service Office in person, the office by telephone or via the Fraud Hotline on Free phone 0800 328 6340.
  • Let us know what type of fraud you suspect;
    • eg - more than one adult in the property and claiming single person discount.
    • someone living in a property but claiming it is empty
    • someone claiming Council Tax Benefit for a property they don’t live in.
  • All suspected frauds are investigated but please provide as much information as possible. All information is treated in the strictest confidence.

If you require any further information please contact us.

Why have I got a Council Tax Attachment of Earnings?

  • Once a Council Tax case has gone through the Magistrates' Court an order is granted. This order allows the Authority to take certain methods of recovery one of which is Attachment of Earnings.
  • If a suitable arrangement has not been made with the office or the balance outstanding has not been paid in full it is likely that once employer details are known that an Attachment of Earnings Order will be implemented.
  • Customers are obliged to provide employment details when requested by the Authority and the Authority do not need to consult the customer when considering an Attachment.

If you would like any further information please contact Revenues Service.

How much do I owe?

Council Tax and Business Rates Customers, can now take advantage of our new and improved, secure self-service system:

You can view information for Council Tax and Business Rates online. You can view your balance, payments made towards your Council Tax and Business Rates accounts.

Go to the Self Service


To find out your balance email or phone 0161 342 2015.


If you have received a Council Tax Reminder, Final notice or recovery action that is being taken, please email

Do I get a Discount?


Do you live alone?

If yes, a single person discount of 25% will apply.

Are you a pensioner who lives with another adult (not a partner)  who is in receipt of a low income?

If yes, second adult rebate of up to 25% may apply.

Do you own an empty property ?

There is no discount or exemption available for an empty property with effect from 1 April 2013.

Do you live with any other adult(s) who falls into one of these categories?:

Student, In receipt of Child Benefit, Prisoner, YTS, Carer, School Leaver, Student Nurse, Apprentice, Resident in a hostel, hospital, nursing home or religious community. Is registered severely mentally impaired, is a diplomat, a member of an international headquarters or defence organisation or a non-British spouse of a student.

If yes, these adults will be disregarded and a discount of 25% may apply.

If all residents fall into one of these categories a discount of 50% may apply.

In certain circumstances a full exemption will apply.


Do you live alone and fall into one of these categories?:

Resident in a Halls of Residence, Full Time Student, Accommodation provided for UK forces, a member of a visiting force, Under the age of 18, severely mentally impaired, have diplomatic immunity or resident in an annexe, eg. granny flat, uninhabitable, undergoing major repairs or a new property.

If yes, a full exemption may apply.

If any other adult(s) resident fall into the same category a full exemption may still apply.


Are you liable for Council Tax but not resident because of one of the following reasons:

Imprisonment, moved to receive care or moved to provide care leaving the property empty.

If yes, a full exemption may apply.

If the property is unoccupied is it:

Owned by a charity, left empty following death of resident, against the law to occupy, a clergy dwelling, left unoccupied by a student(s), repossessed, left empty by a bankrupt, a caravan pitch or boat mooring or an annexe eg. granny flat.

If yes, a full exemption may apply.


Has the property been adapted to meet the needs of a disabled resident?

If yes, it is possible to reduce liability by one band. With effect from April 2000 this also applies to Band A properties which will be charged at the rate of 5/9ths of the amount set for Band D. Read the guidance notes and apply on-line.


Are you or your partner in receipt of a low income ?

If yes, you may be eligible to claim Council Tax Support. If you are in receipt of Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) please  use the online service for claiming Council Tax Support Link to External Website. You may also refer to the benefit office for further information.

If you require any further information regarding rebate, discounts, exemptions or relief please contact the office.


Do you live in an Annexe?

If the owner of the Annexe is a relative, you may be entitled to a discount of 50%. For further information please see Annexe Discount.

Further information regarding Freedom of Information


Who to contact

Council Tax – for enquiries regarding registration, exemptions and discounts.
0161 342 2015
Send the Council Tax Team a Message

Revenues – for enquiries regarding a Council Tax Reminder, Final notice or recovery action that is being taken.
0161 342 2045
Send the Revenues Team a Message

Business Rates
Send the Business Rates Team a Message

Benefits – for enquiries regarding Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.
0161 342 3708
Send the Benefits Team a Message

Housing Benefit overpayments – for enquiries regarding an overpayment in Housing Benefit or to make a payment arrangement.
Send the Overpayment Team a Message

Cookies on the Tameside MBC website

We'd like to use cookies to measure website usage, such as see our most popular pages. We also use some essential cookies on our website to save user settings.

View more information on the cookies we use.