Tameside Portage Service
Welcome to the Tameside Home Visiting Service
- What is Portage?
- What does Portage offer?
- Our Aims
- Who can access the Service?
- How can children be referred?
Portage is a multi agency home visiting service for families with very young children who have additional needs. We offer a support service which has the aim of helping parents to promote their child's development. Portage is based on practising new skills daily, through play.
- Regular home visits by experienced staff
- Advice and support for families
- Access to the Portage toy library
- Monthly support group meetings - Unicorns
- Organised day trips
To support the development of young children's play, communication skills, independence, social skills and to encourage full participation in day to day life within the family and beyond the home.
The Portage home visitor works alongside the parents, offering support practical help and ideas to:
- Make learning fun for all the family
- Encourage a child's interests
- Address problematic situations
- Promote development
- Have additional needs e.g. communication difficulties, developmental delay, genetic disabilities
- Live in Tameside
- Attend an Early Years setting for less than five half day sessions
Download the Referral Form 101.68 KB
Children can be referred to the service by professionals (with parents permission) or by parents/carers themselves.