Tameside Adult and Community Education
Skills for Life and Family Learning Team
Skills for Life
The Skills for Life and Family Learning Team are a friendly team of adult learning specialists who work across communities in Tameside in a number of venues, including schools, to help people develop their English, mathematics and spoken English language skills (ESOL).
We offer a variety of courses to meet the needs of our learners in community venues that are accessible and at times that fit in with the learners' other commitments. We work in partnership with community and voluntary agencies and with schools so that we can offer courses that reflect the interests and needs of local communities and that offer parents the skills to support their children.
We can help you to gain the skills for employment or to get yourself a better job. If you have not got GCSE English or Mathematics, we can offer you an equivalent nationally recognised qualification aimed exclusively at adults.
What can we do for you?
- We adapt provision according to local need
- We offer workshops and taught sessions in a variety of venues and at different times of the day and evening.
- We assess your current skills and advise you in your learning, guiding you on the correct level of English and mathematics to help you work towards the National Certificate in Functional Skills English and Maths level 1 and 2 (the equivalent to GCSE).
- Help you develop your skills for employment.
- Family learning - where you can learn alongside your children and develop the skills to support your children through SATs and GCSEs.
- We can help you increase your confidence, realise your potential and develop your personal skills.
The way we work
- We first talk to you about what you want or need to learn
- We then assess your current skills in a way which suits you.
- We then develop an individual learning plan. This is done with you and your tutor together.
- Your course of learning starts.
- Whilst you are on your course your learning is discussed with you on a regular basis with your tutor so that both you and your tutor know where you are in your learning.
What courses are on offer?
The following skills for life courses are offered for Free:
- Access to English Workshop - Update your skills in writing and reading and improve your spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Access to Maths Workshop - Update your skills in numeracy to improve your accuracy and confidence in using numbers.
- Functional Skills English - Brush up your English skills and achieve a Level 1 or 2 English qualification (equivalent to GCSE).
- Functional Skills Maths - Brush up your Maths skills and achieve a Level 1 or 2 Maths qualification (equivalent to GCSE).
For more information about our service contact our Student Services on 0161 343 8899/Mobile: 07974 111 676 or ring the Skills for Life and Family Learning Team on 0161 343 8889.
|Our courses are Fun and Free!|
|0161 343 8899|
Click on the map to see venues that offer "Skills for Life" courses in that area, or click a town name below.